Climbing Wall Safety Tips
Climbing safety involves more than just making sure climbers have the proper equipment. Safety is our top priority, and we are committed to maintaining a safe and welcoming atmosphere at all times. Personal responsibility is an essential concept that everyone should grasp before attempting to climb at our facility. It is your job to ensure that you receive the appropriate instruction so that you know how to get back down to the ground safely.
Tips & Rules for a Safe Climb
- Prior to belaying, all potential belayers must pass a belay test. There are separate tests for both top rope and lead climbing. Top rope and lead belayers must be 14 or older, unless participating in a CCPRC instructional program.
- All climbers age 17 and younger must wear a helmet. Climbers 18 and older are not required to wear helmets, although we recommend helmet use in all climbing situations. Helmets are available free of charge.
- Outside personal equipment is welcome and must be approved by staff prior to use (harnesses, belay devices, etc.).
- Climbing involves physically strenuous activity and participants should be in reasonably good condition. Anyone with preexisting conditions or health concerns should consult with their physician prior to climbing.
- All climbers must check in at the front desk before climbing.
- All climbers must sign a liability waiver (PDF). Children under 18 years of age MUST have their waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- All lead climbers must be certified by a Climbing Wall employee.
- No bouldering above 14 feet.
- No screaming (this is a noise we reserve for emergencies only).
- No climbing above or below other climbers.
- The Climbing Wall is a substance-free facility. No alcohol, tobacco or other drugs allowed. Smoking is only allowed on the main trail by the bathrooms or beyond.
- Pets must be leashed and under control at all times.
- Pull up equipment (rings, etc.) are intended for use by teenagers age 14 and older. Children under 14 years old MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- No swinging or pulling on the ropes.
- All climbers must wear shoes while climbing. Street shoes or other footwear are ok, as long as toes are covered. “5 Finger” type shoes are not allowed.
- No personal ropes or quick-draws may be used at The Climbing Wall.
- Staff has the right to revoke climbing privileges either temporarily or permanently for unsafe behavior.