Charleston Outdoor Fest
Whether you’re a devoted outdoor sporting enthusiast or just beginning to explore nature’s playground, you’ll find your perfect fit for fun and fitness during the Charleston Outdoor Fest at James Island County Park! Canoeing, kayaking, paddleboarding, rock climbing, slacklining, mountain biking, archery, disc golf, live music, and more.
- Saturday, April 13, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Sunday, April 14, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Exploring the vendor village and enjoying live music from local bands is free with regular park admission of $2 per person or free for Gold Pass members.
- Purchase a Try It Pass at the festival for $10. Children 12 and under are $8 with an accompanying adult pass. The Try It Pass offers full access to all the festival has to offer - the archery range, a bike obstacle course, a mountain bike short track, Challenge Zone activities, disc golf, climbing, and slacklining. Your Try It Pass also allows you to demo sea kayaks, SUPs, and canoes. Please remember to bring closed-toe shoes if you want to participate in climbing or mountain biking. For paddling programs, shoes that can get wet and will stay on your feet in the water are best (flip-flops not recommended).
Try It All with Your Try It Pass!
Archery Range: Archery is an age-old activity that has become a fast growing sport for the entire family. Learn safe practices of archery, have some fun, and get your chance to shoot a bull's-eye!
SUP Yoga: Step out of the gym and onto a board! Stand-up paddleboarding meets yoga in a beginner-friendly setting with no current or tide. SUP Fitness builds on the foundation of paddleboarding and core stability by adding elements of cardio, balance, strength, and flexibility. SUP Yoga classes are open to ages 16 and up and offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- In Gentle yoSUP, participants to focus on poses to stretch and strengthen the torso, hips, and legs while quieting the mind and creating a state of ease through breath and relaxation. Open to all skill levels.
- In Power yoSUP, participants flow from one pose to another using breath as an anchor to increase strength, flexibility, and calorie burn. Yoga and paddleboarding experience preferred.
Bike Obstacle Course: Strap on your helmet and hop on a mountain bike. This is a great opportunity to try your two-wheeling skill on a few obstacles. Try at your own risk...the tumultuous “table top” feature!
Paddlesports: Have you come to this event to paddle? If you said "yes," then we’ve got great options for you. You can demo boats from the vendors and from the TRY IT area…try our sea kayaks, SUP’s, canoes, and more!
Skateboarding: Let’s hit the streets! Learn the basics of skateboarding in a fun and safe environment. SK8 Charleston instructors will help you determine your stance, foot placement on the board, and get you pushing and carving the streets.
Mountain Bike Short Track: Check out one of our mountain bikes or bring your own to take a ride on the 1-mile single track trail. If you need take a short jaunt to burn some calories, challenge yourself, or just get away from the crowd, then this is a great spot for you.
Challenge Zone: Challenge your family and friends to a few activities that are fun, interactive, lively, and bound to give you some laughs. Everyone will need physical and mental prowess to complete these brain teasers!
Disc Golf: Disc golf is a casual and fun activity that provides individuals with a new way to get into the outdoors. Steady your hand and score an eagle on the three-hole disc golf course.
Climbing Wall: Enjoy the festival from a new perspective…25’ in the air! If that is not enough, try our 50’ wall which is within walking distance of the main event. Either way, your climbing fix will get fixed!
Slackline: How’s your balance? Center your “chi” and become a “Flying Wallenda!” Well, maybe not quite a Wallenda, but it does make for a good story.
Cardboard Canoe Race: Sunday, April 14 at 11:30 a.m. - Young master boat builders and their families will love the annual Cardboard Canoe Race. We'll give you all the supplies you need to make a seaworthy vessel to paddle around the lake. Get ready to race, kids! Registration is available on-site, and the race is free with a Try It Pass.
We reserve the right to use photos or videos taken of visitors while they are at Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission facilities or events for publicity purposes. Please lock your vehicle, and remove valuables from view. CCPRC is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen property. Park fees, operating schedules, and hours are subject to change without notice.