Outdoor Bike Challenge
A Virtual Biking Challenge!
Congratulations to our winners!
1. First Place Female, Kayla Edwards with 357 miles
2. First Place Male, Daniel Hayes with 114 miles
3. Random Female Winner, Fatima Sakarya
4. Random Male Winner, Phil Kapets
Winners, please email our Fitness and Wellness Coordinator with your contact information to claim your prize!
The challenge runs from June 8 – June 22. Sign up through the Map My Fitness app anytime between now – June 22. The male and female participants with the most distance logged in the Map My Fitness challenge will receive a bike bag and one free registration in the Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon & 5K on October 10. In addition, one male and one female will be chosen at random to receive a water bottle and one free registration to the Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon & 5K. Winners will be announced here and on the Facebook event page.
Participants are encouraged to post videos and pictures showing their participation (hint, hint - this may improve your odds of being selected as a random award winner).
We recommend using your smart phone to log workouts with MapMyFitness. If you choose to log workouts on your smart watch, IT issues will need be addressed directly with MapMyFitness or your smart watch manufacturer.
Getting Started with Map My Fitness App
- To download, please visit your smartphone’s app store to get the free Map My Fitness application.
- Once the app is downloaded, set up a profile.
- After your profile is set up, please search for us under “Friends.” To get to the “Friends” tab, click on the three dots on the bottom right hand side of your screen and then chose “Friends.”
- On the next screen, click “Find”
- Search for Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission under the name “CCPRC Challenge."
- Send us a friend request.
- Once you have requested to be our friend we will send you an invite to join the "Outdoor Bike Challenge.”
- Navigate back to your Map My Fitness App.
- Accept the invite to the challenge by clicking the trophy button at the bottom of the screen and choosing "New Challenges."
- Choose "Outdoor Bike Challenge."
- Click "Join Challenge" at the bottom of the screen to begin participating.
How to Track your Workouts on your Smartphone
The app’s home page is the “Track Workout” screen. If you find yourself needing to return to this page but don’t know how, tap the stopwatch icon in the middle of the navigation menu along the bottom of the screen.
- Once you have been accepted to a challenge and you are able to view your profile on the leaderboard you can start logging in workouts to count towards the challenge.
- Begin by heading to the “Track Workout” screen by clicking the stopwatch icon at the bottom of your screen.
- Make sure to choose your activity as “Bike.” The Map my Fitness Outdoor Bike Challenge will ONLY record your workout and count it as part of the challenge if you choose the “Bike” activity.
- Once your workout settings are correct, tap “Done” to return to the Track Workout screen. Then tap the green “Start Workout” button to begin recording workout.
- After you start recording a workout, the app will track your route and display your workout statistics, including distance, duration, pace and calorie burn.
- To pause your workout, tap the “Pause Workout” button. Once paused, you can either resume your workout or end your workout. To end your workout, hold down the “HOLD TO FINISH” button.
- Your results will automatically be added to your individual stats on the Outdoor Bike Challenge leaderboard.
How to Track Workouts using your Smartwatch
Please note that we advise using your smartphone ONLY to track workouts. If you decide to track workouts using your smartwatch please note that we will not be able to assist with any technical difficulties you might encounter.
- Click on the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to access and choose “Apps and Devices"
- Choose from the list of smartwatch devices below and pair your watch with the Map My Fitness App. *Please note that depending on your smartwatch you will most likely need to log your workout as a Bike in order for it to load your stats to the challenge
Tracking your Results in the Challenge
- Click on the trophy icon at the bottom of the screen and select “My Challenges."
- Choose the “Outdoor Bike Challenge” to access the leaderboard.
- Results will be automatically logged and updated as each participant finishes an activity. The results will be listed in order from the person with the greatest distance in first place to the person with the least amount of distance in last place.
- Once the challenge is complete you can log in again to check the status and view your results.