Walk in Step
- First place female : Tiffanni Byrdic with 399,216 steps
- First place male: Garrett Welch with 180,634 steps
- Picked at random female participation winner: Andrea Heffley
- Picked at random male participation winner: Christopher Savage
Please reach out to our Fitness and Wellness Coordinator to claim your prize!.
A Virtual Walking Challenge!
Sign up through Map My Fitness at any time during the challenge period April 22 - May 6. The male and female participant with the most steps logged in the Map My Fitness challenge will receive a fanny pack and one free registration in the Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon & 5K on October 10, and one male and female participant will be chosen at random to receive a water bottle and one free registration to the Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon & 5K. Winners will be announced here and on the Charleston County Parks Facebook page. Winners will need to email our Fitness and Wellness Coordinator with their contact information.
We recommend using your smart phone to log workouts with MapMyFitness. If you choose to log workouts on your smart watch, IT issues will need be addressed directly with MapMyFitness or your smart watch manufacturer.
Getting Started with Map My Fitness App
- To download, please visit your smartphone’s app store to get the free Map My Fitness application.
- Once the app is downloaded, set up a profile.
- After your profile is set up, please search for us under “Friends.” To get to the “Friends” tab, click on the three dots on the bottom right hand side of your screen and then chose “Friends.”
- On the next screen, click “Find”
- Search for Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission under the name “CCPRC Challenge."
- Once you have requested to be our friend we will add you to the “Walk in Step Challenge.”
- After we add you to the challenge, click "Join Challenge" under the "New Challenges" tab to accept.
How to Track your Workouts on your Smartphone
The app’s home page is the “Track Workout” screen. If you find yourself needing to return to this page but don’t know how, tap the stopwatch icon in the middle of the navigation menu along the bottom of the screen. Once you have been accepted to a challenge and you are able to view your profile on the leaderboard, you can start logging in workouts to count towards the challenge.
- Begin by heading to the “Track Workout” screen by clicking the stopwatch icon at the bottom of your screen.
- Set your activity to “walk” by selecting the “choose activity” button on the top left corner of the screen. Please note the ’Map my Fitness Walk in Step Challenge’ will only record your workout and count it as part of the challenge if you choose the “Walk” activity. This means that your steps do not actually count unless you have your phone or watch set to record a walking activity. If you typically count your steps automatically while grocery shopping, doing household chores, etc. through your smart watch these steps will NOT count toward the challenge. Your activity MUST be set to Walk in order to be counted in the challenge.
- Once your workout settings are correct, tap “Done” to return to the Track Workout screen. Then tap the green “Start Workout” button to begin recording workout.
- After you start recording a workout, the app will track your route and display your workout statistics, including distance, duration, pace and calorie burn.
- To pause your workout, tap the “Pause Workout” button. Once paused, you can either resume your workout or end your workout. To end your workout, hold down the “HOLD TO FINISH” button.
- Your results will automatically be added to your individual stats on the Walk in Step Challenge leaderboard.
How to Track Workouts using your Smartwatch
Please note that we advise using your smartphone ONLY to track workouts. If you decide to track workouts using your smartwatch please note that we will not be able to assist with any technical difficulties you might encounter.
- Click on the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to access and choose “Apps and Devices"
- Choose from the list of smartwatch devices below and pair your watch with the Map My Fitness App. Please note that depending on your smartwatch you will most likely need to log your workout as a Walk in order for it to load your stats to the challenge
Tracking your Results in the Challenge
- Click on the trophy icon at the bottom of the screen and select “My Challenges”
- Choose the “Walk in Step Challenge” to access the leaderboard
- Results will be automatically logged and updated as each participant finishes an activity. The results will be listed in order from the person with the most amount of steps in first place to the person with the least amount of steps in last place.
- Once the challenge is complete you can log in again to check the status and view your results.