May 7, 2022
Folly Beach County Park
1100 W Ashley Ave
Folly Beach, SC 29439
Wheel to Surf: Afternoon Session
Saturday, May 7, 2022
This unique event provides individuals with disabilities an opportunity to experience surfing! Adaptive surfing staff from partner organizations Ocean Cure, Adaptive Surf Project, Coastal Adaptive Sports, and Adaptive Expeditions will provide instruction and assistance in a controlled environment. Participants must meet guidelines prior to registration.
Important Event Information:
- Participants must register for either the morning session (9am-11:30am) or the afternoon session (12:30pm-3:00pm).
- Pre-registration is required and if spots are still available will close at 2pm the day prior to the event.
- During your registered time slot, time on the water will be scheduled first come, first served.
- Each participant will be allotted a 20-minute session on the water.
- Participants will be fitted for a personal flotation device/life jacket on-site.
- A chaperone is required for youth ages 15 and under.
To provide a safe and fun experience for all participants, those signing up for the surfing program must adhere to the following guidelines. These guidelines have been adapted from the American Canoe Association. Participants must be able to:
- Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
- Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
- Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
- Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
- Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
- Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation
- Participants must not have any unprotected wounds. Open wounds must be appropriately covered and protected. We reserve the right to deny participation to anyone that does not meet these requirements on the day of the event, due to safety concerns.