The Competitive program is for climbers ages 10-19 who are serious about competing and have a desire to learn how to train. Team members will focus their training on becoming a stronger, smarter, and more efficient climber. This program is designed to inspire and challenge climbers to achieve their highest potential both physically and mentally, to increase self-confidence and personal responsibility, and to develop communication and self-expression skills while working successfully as a member of a winning team.
In addition to practice, members may receive an individualized training program. Members also participate in training clinics; local and world-championship sanctioned rope, boulder, and speed competitions; outdoor climbing trips; social activities; and fundraising. Climbers should be prepared for a comprehensive training and competition calendar and be committed to competing through the mid-summer championships season.
- Junior Team: This program introduces rock climbing as a competitive sport. In addition to safety and technique, an emphasis is placed on how to train mentally and physically to become a better athlete. Minimal climbing experience is necessary. Competitions are optional, but suggested.
- Intermediate Team: Members of the Intermediate Team have a strong drive to compete and improve themselves in all aspects. This team meets twice a week and travels to competitions throughout the southeast and mid-Atlantic. A background in competitive climbing is recommended.
- Elite Team: For climbers who desire to be the best of the best, the Elite Team is their place. Members train three times a week and travel to divisional and national competitions. This is an intense program that requires focused dedication.
- Bouldering season: Late September - February
- Sport climbing season: March - June
Competitive Team Benefits
- Annual pass to The Climbing Wall at James Island County Park
- Discounts on climbing gear
- Customized workout plans (Elite team only)
- Private lessons (Elite team only)
- Team shirt
Join the Team
- Contact the Climbing Coordinator by email or phone at 843-762-8090
- Maximum team size: 12 members