Junior Counselor Leadership
Application opens February 5.
A Junior Counselor is a teen, aged 13-16, who is interested in a leadership role within an outdoor day camp setting. Junior Counselors assist the Explorers Camp staff with various activities and duties associated with the daily camp schedule. Additionally, Junior Counselors are mentored by staff to aid in development of leadership qualities such as public speaking, confidence, organization and more.
Junior Counselors are directly supervised by the Explorers counselors and Explorers Team Leaders. Junior Counselors are not solely responsible for supervising the campers; they are present to assist the camp staff.
- To attend all phases of training
- Meet new ideas with an open mind, accept constructive feedback, and make positive changes
- To show a willingness to have a positive attitude at all times and adapt to change
- To accept and follow all CCPRC policies and Camp regulations
- To be respectful and responsible for all CCPRC property and equipment
- To assist in the creation and maintenance of a physically and emotionally safe environment for all participants
- To follow the set schedule for service, Monday through Friday, 8:00-4:30
- To participate fully in weekly meetings for the Junior Counselor Leadership Program
- To assist with preparation, execution and clean up of camp programs and activities as assigned, such as lunch time, cookout, canoeing, crabbing, arts & crafts, biking, etc.
- To attend all scheduled sessions and participate in all camp activities unless excused by prior arrangement
Khaki shorts or pants as well as comfortable closed-toed shoes. Junior Counselor uniform shirts will be provided. Shirts should be clean and tucked in. Appropriate water clothing and shoes for canoeing and water park activities is permitted during water-based activities. Single-piece bathing suits should be worn. No bikinis. Personal appearance should be neat and clean. In the event a camp shirt is unavailable, a solid color t-shirt (with no logos, designs, pictures, etc) is permitted.
There exists a mutual understanding that youth accepted into the JCLP are no longer campers, but have a level of maturity that suggests they can help operate camp and will not need to be disciplined. The Program wants to provide an opportunity for Junior Counselors to learn and grow. However, instances of inappropriate conduct or inability to follow CCPRC policies will not be tolerated. If necessary, with Camp Director’s approval, individuals will be excused from the program.
Should the Junior Counselor need to make a schedule change or be absent, please contact the Supervisor for Explorers Camp.
- Apply online.
- Deadline for applications is April 26. Early application deadline is March 13.
- Positions are not guaranteed until confirmed by the Camp Director or Assistant Director for Explorers Camp
Contact Park & Program Services at 843-795-4386 or by email.