- Recreation Programs
- Summer Camps
- Junior Counselor Leadership Program
Junior Counselor Leadership
A Junior Counselor is a young adult, aged 13-16, who is interested in a leadership role within an outdoor day camp setting. Junior Counselors assist Explorers Camp staff with various activities and duties associated with the daily schedule. Additionally, Junior Counselors are mentored by staff to aid in development of leadership qualities such as public speaking, confidence, organization and more.
- Alpha: June 5-9 & 12-16
- Bravo: June 19-23 & 26-30
- Charlie: July 3-7 (off Fourth of July) & 10-14
- Delta: July 17-21 & 24-28
- Echo: July 31-Aug 4 & 7-11
Junior Counselors are directly supervised by the Explorers Counselors and Explorers Team Leaders. Junior Counselors are not solely responsible for supervising the campers; they are present to assist the camp staff.
- Attend all phases of training
- Meet new ideas with an open mind, accept constructive feedback and make positive changes
- Show a willingness to have a positive attitude and adapt to change
- Accept and follow all Charleston County Parks policies and camp procedures
- Be respectful of and responsible for all Charleston County Parks' property and equipment
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of a physically-safe and emotionally-safe environment for all participants
- Follow the set schedule for service, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Actively participate in weekly meetings
- Assist with preparation, execution and cleanup of camp programs and activities as assigned, such as lunch time, cookout, canoeing, crabbing, arts & crafts, biking, etc.
- Attend all scheduled sessions and participate in all camp activities unless excused by prior arrangement
Khaki shorts or pants as well as comfortable closed-toed shoes. Junior Counselor uniform shirts will be provided. Shirts should be clean and tucked in. Appropriate water clothing and shoes for canoeing and water park activities is permitted during water-based activities. Single-piece bathing suits should be worn. No bikinis. Personal appearance should be neat and clean. In the event a camp shirt is unavailable, a solid color t-shirt (with no logos, designs, pictures, etc) is permitted.
Young adults accepted into the program are no longer campers; they are seen as possessing a level of maturity that they can help operate camp and will not need to be disciplined. The program wants to provide an opportunity for Junior Counselors to learn and grow. However, instances of inappropriate conduct or inability to follow Charleston County Parks policies will not be tolerated. If necessary, with Camp Director’s approval, individuals will be excused from the program.
Should the Junior Counselor need to make a schedule change or be absent, please contact the Supervisor for Explorers Camp via email or text/call.
- Apply online starting February 4, 2023.
- Early application deadline is Sunday, March 19 with interviews on Tuesday, March 21.
- Deadline for all applications is Sunday, April 23 with interviews on Tuesday, April 25 and Thursday, April 27.
- Positions are not guaranteed until confirmed by the Camp Director or Assistant Camp Director.
- Orientation for Junior Counselors is May 9 or May 10.
Contact Park & Program Services at 843-795-4386 or Camp Administrative Staff by email.